Anders Bergstrom's blog on Words, Films, and Music

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Apparently, I am in fact the worst blogger ever. But as I promised some people that I would post today, here I am. Let us continue with my top ten albums list.

4) LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (DFA/EMI)

This album might best be described as literate, electro, dance rock, if one can best describe it at all. It's perhaps one of the most compulsively head nodding albums I've heard in ages. From the driving, crazy beats of the opener, "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House," to the brilliant "Tribulations" (which incidently fades quite nicely into the opening of "Blue Monday" making it an instant DJ favourite everywhere), this album is chalk full of infectious beats. But just to show that they've got it going on with more than just dance music, they throw in the lazy, druggy Beatles-esque sound of "Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up." The album earned it's place on my list of the best of the year and it has also become the unofficial anthem album for the UVic English grad students. Standout Tracks: "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House," "Tribulations," "Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up," "On Repeat"

3) You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand (Domino)

Ok, this one is obviously one of my favourites and probably one of the ones that I've listened to the most. I'm sure part of that has to do with the fond memories of the concert I saw in Seattle back in Oct, but that only solidified my impression that Franz Ferdinand are great entertainers, if not some of the best in the world. Some critics (and people I've talked to) were a little bit dissapointed with the album. But making cohesive "albums" doesn't seem to be what Franz Ferdinand are about. What they do is craft some of the greatest hooks and most danceable pop songs out there. And in that respect, they deliver on the promise of the first album fully. "The Fallen" is perhaps one of the best opening tracks on any album this year. And "Do You Want To," while it falls slightly short of the glory that is "Take Me Out," is one of the most popular songs on the dance floor with its playful cheekiness and brilliant build up. Let's hope that the boys from Glasgow continue to dominate pop music. Standout Tracks: "The Fallen," "Do You Want To," "Walk Away," "I'm Your Villian," "Outsiders"

2) Takk... - Sigur Rós (Geffen)

This album was a huge surprise, but a wonderful one. I was a big fan of this Icelandic group's last album, the somewhat pretentiously untitled (). With it's meandering sounds and ethereal atmosphere, it was great, but sometimes the songs went on too long and it wasn't something that you could just throw on and listen to any old day. But with Takk... the band moves back to the sounds of Ágætis Byrjun, their popular second album. The sounds of Takk... are triumphant and melodic, somewhat different from the more funereal and measured feel of (). Takk... is like a ray of sunshine through a cloud, it's soundscape creating moods and atmosphere as much as "songs" in the traditional sense. Obviously the new album isn't going to win over those who think that all music has to be in traditional 3 min pop songs, but by mixing up their methods, Sigur Rós makes music that is less exhausting and more, dare I say, fun. Earlier I wondered if there was a pop song as "triumphant" as Coldplay's "Fix You," but "S
æglópur" is perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of music I heard all year. It literally gives me goosebumps just to hear it in my headphones as I walk. If you've never heard Sigur Rós before, I urge you to give this album a listen. It truly has earned it's place on my picks of the year's best. Standout Tracks: "Hoppípolla," "Með Blóðnasir," "Sæglópur"

Now it's down to Number 1. Do you know what it is?

4 comments:

Meghann said...

I know, I know! You yelled it to me over and over again last night at Lucky's so I'm pretty sure the rest of the bar knows too!*L* But I won't give it away!

Garry said...

Hmmm. Your list is eclectic and intriguing. I am not sure about FF, and Sigur Ros seems an unlikely follow up, but I am guessing (and hoping) that your #1 is a certain BSS. Mine's Sufjan Stevens, but BSS is #2. Great list!

Adam said...

My brother got the Franz Ferdinand CD for Xmas... it really is awesome.

Aren said...

Why wont anyone comment on my blog.